Friday, June 20, 2014

I have to start somewhere, then why not at the beginning...

Do what you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I love sewing and making my own dresses. It's now a dream of mine to see someone else wearing a dress I made.

     I recently started in January while I had the house to myself because my husband was on a business trip. Valentine's day was right around the corner and I wanted a bright pink dress for one of my favorite holidays.

     I went to every store in the mall and all I could find were short sleeveless dresses. Grrrr! I was getting more and more frustrated then it hit me... "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain." (Bryce made me write this). In other words, If I can't find the right dress then I'll make my own friggen dress.

     I set off for Joann's, my new favorite store by the way. I loved being able to pick out my own colors and patterns and not having to settle for what the clothing stores had on the shelves. I picked up a cheap sewing machine and sewed for several hours resulting in... utter disappointment. Thinking I'd gone overboard and had been blinded with false hope in my ambitions all I could think was I want my mommy.

     "Well at least the pieces are in right spots!" Were the much needed words of encouragement that I needed to hear from my supportive mother. She told me not to give up and that I had to start at somewhere (I guess my dreams of designing award winning runway dresses would have to wait). After a much needed lesson from my experienced seamstress of a mother my dress was starting to resemble the vision that I had in mind. It felt so good to be able to follow through with my goal and have a finished dress that I could say I had made.

     I would love to show that first dress I made but I didn't think this hobby would turn into my passion. For my own benefit of being able to measure my progress I'll upload a few photos to this post to save them and compare later.

1 comment:

  1. You have a dream and you are making it come true. So many people have dreams, but that is all they ever are is a dream, because they do nothing! You have created and designed so many lovely, modest dresses. You should post pictures of all of them. Write about how you designed them and what inspired you. Keep following your dream!

    ReplyDelete